Friday, March 7, 2014

Spring Cleaning Game #1: House Party



By Amber Matheson

Spring Cleaning takes on a whole new meaning when kids enter the picture. Before I had children my window sills actually had a relationship with my duster, and I never googled “how to get crayon off walls.”
That’s all changed now, of course, with the addition of two loveable but messy rugrats underfoot. My house is definitely worse for wear, and those nitty-gritty cleaning jobs have gone by the wayside. But with Spring Cleaning on the horizon, I wondered: Are my days of dust-free surfaces over? Or can I have it all? Simply put, is there a way to marry a clean home with messy children?
Then is dawned on me: games. Kids love games! So during Spring Cleaning season, I’ll highlight some of the coolest kids cleaning games I can find – let me know if you implement any of them in your own home this year!

Choose Your Own Adventure
 This game, from the Teaching Boys’ blog, is pure genius in my opinion – as long as you don’t mind indulging in unhealthy snacks from time to time. Although I guess if kale chips are the treat du jour in your home, that’ll work too. This mom got her boys to clean for five straight hours. How did she do it?

Step One: Draw a simple blueprint of your house.
Step Two: Let your kids pick their favorite treats, from chips and pop to staying up late and watching movies
Step Three: You assign a treat to each room
Step Four: Start cleaning together! For each room your kids clean, they win that reward.
Step Five: Have a party!
Step Six: Sigh. Repeat.

What tricks have you implemented in your home to get your kids to be active cleaners?

No comments:

Post a Comment